[cvsnt] Re: performence problem

Luigi D. Sandon cp at sandon.it
Mon Feb 21 14:16:58 GMT 2005

> What hardware do you recommend? We have almost 100 users (concurently checkouts goes from 5 to 50).

1) If CVS scales well with multiple processor, it will help to handle
more concurrent requests. If your processor is HyperThreading, to
exploit you'd need an Hyperthreading-aware OS.
2) RAID 5 is slower when writing than other RAID options.

Anyway, it looks like the I/O is your bottleneck. If the AV is not the
problem (did you tried to disable it completely?), check your disk system:

1) What kind of controller are you using (PATA, SATA, SCSI)?
2) What kind of disks (ATA, SATA, SCSI) and disks speed?
3) What disk cache and type are you using (system, controller, write
back, write through). To use a more aggressive caching however an UPS is
required.
4) Is Windows set for "file sharing" or "application server"?
5) Are CVS repository and temp directories set on the same disks? Moving
the temp folder to another disk may help to reduce head "trashing".
6) Is the network bandwidth enough to handle all requests?

--
Luigi D. Sandon
cp at sandon.it