[cvsnt] RE: performence problem

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Mon Feb 21 14:33:24 GMT 2005

> From: Stéphane Nicoll [mailto:Stephane.Nicoll at bsb.com]
> Average disk queue length is very very high and not
> decreasing. Available memory is 1.4Go (2Go total memory) so I
> don't think it causes the issue.

Agree.

> We do have 3 disks of 36Go, 15k RPM using RAID5
>
> Any suggestion?

Assuming you've turned off realtime anti-virus scanning on the CVS repository (you have, haven't you? :-) ), I'd expect that to be a reasonable configuration for a normal repository - but I've got many fewer users than you.  Do you know what mix of operations you've got, and whether it's mostly reads or mostly writes?  (for read/write, the disk counters are your friends again)  Given that much free RAM, I suspect writes, as the reads *should* be cached by the filesystem code (I think - Tony?).

Silly question... what's your RAID controller, does it have battery/capacitor backup on writes [so that you maintain repository consitency across power fails - usually!], and if so, does it make any difference if you turn on delayed writes on the controller?  Just wondering whether you have lots of small writes or fewer large ones.

		- Peter