[cvsnt] "Floating" Tags?

Merrill Cornish merrill.cornish at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 10 15:26:29 GMT 2005

Oliver,

>>> why don't you then just use modules for that?

We already have a CVS module that includes all of the scripts we have.  We want to identify a subset of those scripts as the "active ones" so they can be sent to our foreign office.  (I don't know whether they will put the scripts they receive in source control or not--but that's not the question here.)

It is my understanding of CVS that modules are tightly tied to directory trees.  In particular, all of the files in one directory tree are in at most one module.  Therefore, we would not be able to have all of the files in the directory tree in the EVERYTHING module and have only a subset of the files in that directory tree in the ACTIVE module.

If we used two modules, I believe we would have to separate out the files in our current module into two directory trees.  However, having our files in two trees makes it tedious to work with them as a group.  If I'm going to have to go to all that trouble, I'll just create a batch file with COPY commands to copy out of the EVERYTHING module checkout tree into another tree.

Merrill