[cvsnt] Problem: I'm not able to add user to my passwd file

Paolo Figini figini at elet.polimi.it
Tue Jan 18 17:23:51 GMT 2005

Hi to all
I have an IBM Server (operating system Linux Fedora 3).
I installed cvsnt 2.0.51d (client/server) on my server... and I'm not able to add user to my passwd file after I login in cvs as admin.

$CVSROOT=/var/repository
$CVSROOT/CVSROOT/passwd

[root at RED ~]$ cvs -d :pserver:admin at red:/var/repository login
Logging in to :pserver:admin at red:2401:/var/repository
CVS password:
[root at RED~]$ cvs passwd -a gigi
Adding user gigi
New password:
Verify password:
cvs [passwd aborted]: Only administrators can add or change another's password

I create a valid user account "cvs" on my system (it not the administrator of the machine)

[root at RED CVSROOT]$ ll
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup     admin
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup     admin,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup     checkoutlist
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup     checkoutlist,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    commitinfo
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    commitinfo,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup     config
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    config,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup      cvsrc
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    cvsrc,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup     cvswrappers
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup   cvswrappers,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    editinfo
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    editinfo,v
drwxrwxr-x  2 cvs cvsgroup   Emptydir
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    history
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    historyinfo
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup   historyinfo,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup   loginfo
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    loginfo,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    modules
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup     modules2
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    modules2,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup   modules,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    notify
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup     notify,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup     passwd
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup     passwd,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup     postcommit
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup     postcommit,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup     rcsinfo
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    rcsinfo,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup    taginfo
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup   taginfo,v
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup   val-tags
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup   verifymsg
-rwxrwxr-x  1 cvs cvsgroup   verifymsg,v

- Content of "passwd" file:

admin:<hashed password>:cvs

-Content of "admin" file:

admin