[cvsnt] RE: [cvsgui] Anyone used MKS Source Integrity Enterprise Edition?

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Thu Jan 20 16:49:30 GMT 2005

>The problem is in finding out _before_ the merge what has been changed.
>When would I launch Source Integrity each morning, the icons would tell
>me what files have changed. _Then_ I could decide what to do about it.
>As nearly as I can tell, the main way in CVS to find out what is going
>to change is to _do_ the change.  Even then, the what's-changed
>information is in a mass of scrolled text.

>How would you find out what's changed with WinCvs or Tortorise?

A few pennies from me...

You can launch a query update and then you will see which files are updated
on the server so you can then diff these. They won't be changed locally.

However there has been requests for WinCvs to implement a little help function
that would work as follows:
- You activate this "server compare" function
- WinCvs launches cvs status or something similar to get the state at the repo
- WinCvs compares the returned status info (revisions) to the local files
- For any file that has a changed revision on the server and is not locally
  changed WinCvs assigns a new icon with a different color
- For any file that has changed both locally and in the repo WinCvs assigns
  yet another differently colored icon

Such a function would then make it possible to routinely launch "server compare"
and then examine the files reported to have changed by diffing agains the local
files.
You then get the wanted control.

I don't think this would be a big deal to do, but it has been defered by the
dev team and I cannot work in Visual studio myself so I cannot doit either.