[cvsnt] Back-merging unchanged files

Prochazka, Jan Jan.Prochazka at brooks.com
Fri Jan 21 16:19:28 GMT 2005

> Where you get problems is if you're trying to merge two branches
> bidirectionally as it creates a lot of revisions for the merges

Not only in that case. We have had branches that all started from HEAD.
When a milestone was achieved and tested within branch, the branch was
merged to HEAD. Then other branches needed to be updated from HEAD. This
procedure also produced no-changed revisions.

> OTOH you should not be assigning any significance to revision numbers
*at > all* so having a few extra revisions isn't really an issue.

We have MANY files, so "a few extra revisions" multiplied by hundreds
means "a few hundreds extra revisions"

"falsely" changed files comes with two issues:
1) after merge, because the developer should look at the all changes
before any commit, he/she needs to open tens(or even hundreds) files
just to check that nothing changed
2) the same thing if somebody tries to find out what was change at
particular time.

(we use TortoiseCVS for common tasks, I am going to ask TortoiseCVS
whether would be possible to add button "check diff" to commit window.
This button would use diff to all "changed" files and unchecked all
files that comes with 0/0 result)

Jan

This email message, including any attachments, may contain confidential and proprietary information for the sole use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, copying or dissemination of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you received this message in error, please notify Brooks Automation, Inc. immediately by reply email or by calling Brooks US Headquarters at +1 978-262-2400. Then delete this message from your system, without making any copy or distribution.  Thank you.