[cvsnt] Why must I have a lockserver running locally when accessing remote?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Tue Jan 25 21:51:22 GMT 2005

All of a sudden my WinCvs is acting up when I try to diff the cvsnt
repository...
I have just used it to update the cvsnt src dir, then I wanted to diff
two revisions of server.cpp so I graphed it and then selected the two
revisions and hit the diff button.
Result is an hourglass and after a few seconds this message (2 lines):

cvs -z9 diff -r 1.106.2.146 -r 1.106.2.148 server.cpp server.cpp (in
directory F:\Engineering\Projects\cvsnt\src\)
cvs server: connect to 127.0.0.1(localhost):2402 failed: Unknown error

So I quit the graph and selected the server.cpp file itself and hit
the diff button. Same sh-t, the message looks like this:

cvs -z9 diff server.cpp (in directory
F:\Engineering\Projects\cvsnt\src\)
***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****
cvs server: connect to 127.0.0.1(localhost):2402 failed: Unknown error

Why is it trying to connect to localhost in the first place?
Is this a problem with cvsnt or WinCvs?
I have CVSNT 2.0.62.1852 installed for testing and the lockserver
service is running fine, so why does it fail? (Even though I cannot
figure out why it should even try localhost anyway....)

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)