[cvsnt] Re: Using modules to define "virtual modules"...

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Wed Jan 26 11:30:40 GMT 2005

Oliver Giesen wrote:

>> [Somelib5]
>> SomeLib/Src=External/SomeLib/D5/Src
>
> If I check this out, say to c:\Projects, I would get:
>
> c:\Projects\Somelib5\SomeLib\Src
>
>> [SomeLib7]
>> SomeLib/Src=External/SomeLib/D7/Src
>
> and this would become:
>
> c:\Projects\Somelib5\SomeLib\Src

If I understood this all, that probably should have been
c:\Projects\Somelib7\SomeLib\Src.

> Whereas my two modules examples would both checkout to:
>
> c:\Projects\SomeLib\Src

> Yes, that part would have been nice if it hadn't necessarily been true
> for the (forced) top-level folder of the module too. Don't get me
> wrong, I'm still impressed by what modules2 can do, but AFAICT at the
> moment it's of very limited use for my purposes and you already
> confirmed this impression in an earlier post yourself.

I've rarely used modules, due to the checkout/update difference and the
resulting possible sandbox confusion. The way I understand modules2 to help
here is that you see these libs you mentioned in the context of a project.

That would create these SomeLib/Src directories under their associated
project directory. Which seems to make sense in many circumstances. If I
got this right:

A project with lib D5:

[Project1UsingLib5]
SomeLib/Src=External/SomeLib/D5/Src
Source=Projects/Project1/Source

The same project running with lib D7:

[Project1UsingLib7]
SomeLib/Src=External/SomeLib/D7/Src
Source=Projects/Project1/Source

A different project with lib D7:

[Project2UsingLib7]
SomeLib/Src=External/SomeLib/D7/Src
Source=Projects/Project2/Source

Makes sense to me... And if updates within those directories work normally
(that is, if I can use the -d option and it works as expected, i.e. it
creates any new subdirectories of External/SomeLib/D?/Src/ and
Projects/Project?/Source), that's a GREAT thing.

Gerhard