[cvsnt] Re: Using modules to define "virtual modules"...

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Wed Jan 26 11:45:31 GMT 2005

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:

> Oliver Giesen wrote:
>
> >> [Somelib5]
> >> SomeLib/Src=External/SomeLib/D5/Src
> >
> > If I check this out, say to c:\Projects, I would get:
> >
> > c:\Projects\Somelib5\SomeLib\Src
> >
> >> [SomeLib7]
> >> SomeLib/Src=External/SomeLib/D7/Src
> >
> > and this would become:
> >
> > c:\Projects\Somelib5\SomeLib\Src
>
> If I understood this all, that probably should have been
> c:\Projects\Somelib7\SomeLib\Src.

Indeed. My bad.

> A project with lib D5:
>
> [Project1UsingLib5]
> SomeLib/Src=External/SomeLib/D5/Src
> Source=Projects/Project1/Source
>
> The same project running with lib D7:
>
> [Project1UsingLib7]
> SomeLib/Src=External/SomeLib/D7/Src
> Source=Projects/Project1/Source
>
> A different project with lib D7:
>
> [Project2UsingLib7]
> SomeLib/Src=External/SomeLib/D7/Src
> Source=Projects/Project2/Source

Yes, but I don't want the ProjectXUsingLibY top-level folder and most
of all I don't want the shared lib to be checked out inside the project
tree. Many of these shared libs are designtime packages that have to be
loaded by my IDE to make my components and their editors available at
designtime. There can only ever be one instance of a designtime package
and that always has to stay in the same place.

> Makes sense to me... And if updates within those directories work
> normally (that is, if I can use the -d option and it works as
> expected, i.e. it creates any new subdirectories of
> External/SomeLib/D?/Src/ and Projects/Project?/Source), that's a
> GREAT thing.

Yes, indeed. I would love to see something like that. The way it is now
however I cannot use it this way.

Cheers,

--
Oliver