[cvsnt] why "cvs crown cvsuser" gimme FAIL LOCK not in repository?

hiiyan hiiyan at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 15 12:29:54 BST 2005

Dear all,

I have tried many ways to use cvs chacl to set ACL for the different user
groups on folders but seem to hit error every way.

I am using CVSNT 2.5.01 (Travis) Build 1976 on WinXP Pro.

I want to control the access on the subfolders. Let say, group1 only able to
commit and see folder1. Group2 for folder2. And Group1 cannot see and commit
folder2.

There are so many ways and I actually don't know which way is for the cvsnt
version that I am using.

I did try to create real user groups on the WinXP. then use cvs passwd to
create and add virtual user to the group.
Then I went to the particular folder in the repository and change the
Security setting. This cannot work coz as long as there is Administrator,
all the virtual users can access that folder. So I guess this method is
incorrect. (I logged in as Administrator)

Then, I tried the cvs chacl. I got error "no version found. do cvs
checkout..". I went to do cvs checkout. This command ran with no problem but
I still get "no version found" error with cvs chacl. (will empty folders
cause problem?)

Then I tried another method which I got from this newsgroup to use cvs crown
but this time I got "../.directory_history,v.FAIL Lock not in the
repository".

sigh.. i really can't make this ACL work :(
Pls help me. This is my first time setting up this kind of access control.

Thank you so much

regards,