[cvsnt] Re: Tag activity not appearing in CVSROOT/history

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Thu Jul 21 16:19:23 BST 2005

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:07:52 +0100, "Andy Southby"
<asouthby at drumgrange.co.uk> wrote:

>I am concerned with the performance degradation that users may notice if I
>do too much work in the script.

Well, what you really need to do is not much (depending on your usage
of course) to replace the history logging that cvs does...
Just collect the data you are interested in for later analysis and
append them to a logfile of some kind.
Then you can process this later outside the wrapper of the cvs command
execution.
For example get the list of files being tagged and their respective
tag and revision values, the user login doing the tag, the current
timestamp, the ID of the commit and whetever else you need.
Then write the data at the end of a logfile as a line (record) per
file processed where these data are entered in a parseable way.
Please note that there may be many files included in the tag operation
(normally is), so you should divide the logfile per file. Also, the
taginfo script is invoked once per directory in a multi-directory
module. So there is a good idea to use an ID field to be able to
connect these together later.

>I also have the added problem of only being proficient in Windows 'Command
>Prompt' which is, lets say, somewhat restrictive.
>
>If I needed to learn a new scripting language for use with CVSNT which would
>be best? I am also using (TortoiseCVS, ViewCVS and  MySQL.)

Depends on what you are proficient in. I program most of my stuff
using Borland Delphi so it is an exe file being called from the
taginfo script (for sending email as an example). But many use Perl
and Python, it's your choice really. You need to be able to read
command line arguments and standard input and standard error to handle
all cases.

>By the way Bo thanks for your ViewCVS Windows Installer package and
>installation tips, as without them I would still be trying to figure out how
>to install it.
 :-)

/Bo Berglund