[cvsnt] Re: Updates changes timestamp for no reason (build 2013)???

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at system3r.se
Fri Jul 22 10:10:46 BST 2005

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 09:16:55 +0100, Tony Hoyle
<tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> I have noted a strange behaviour in CVS lately that I did not see
>> before:
>> When updating a module *all* files are listed with the U prefix and
>> the timestamp of the files are moved up to Now() even though the file
>> itself has not changed at all either in the repository or locally.
>
>That sounds like you have issues with timestamps (although even then it
>would normally just cause extra network traffic).  The only thing I can
>think of that might do it is network shares.

Definitely no network shares involved here!

>I've never heard of anything giving the symptoms you describe.
>
>> Is this a known problem with the client (build 2013) or where do I
>> start looking?
>
>Things like whether to update are entirely server side - the client just
>does what it's told.

Then why is there a definite difference if I switch *client* side
cvsnt software from 2.5.01.2013 to 2.0.41???
To me it looks like 2013 used as a client does something differently
from what the 2.0.41 client does.

It is completely repeatable, with the 2013 client I get the updates
whereas with the 2.0.41 I don't.
Here is a command line session to prove it (to get WinCvs out of the
loop). Note that build 2013 is on path so when I issue cvs I get this
version, but when I specifically call the 2.0.41 version I get
different results:

F:\Engineering\CVSSERVER\HW\SSReceiver\Source\common>cvs ver
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.5.01 (Travis) Build 2013
(client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.38 (client/server)

F:\Engineering\CVSSERVER\HW\SSReceiver\Source\common>cvs update
cvs server: Updating .
U Fosdata.s07
U Hwdef.s07
U Interrupt.c
U Lowlevel.s07
U Menutxt.s07
U Remote.h
U Serial.c
U Transfer.c
U Tx.h
U command.h
U eepro.c
U fos.c
U gps.c
U hwglobal.h
U init.c
U io.c
U io6811.h
U keyb.c
U l12.s07
U lcd.c
U lcd.h
U main.c
U menus1.c
U menus4.c
U menus5.c
U menus6.c
U mystartup.s07
U rtc.c
U rx2.c
U sting-1.c
U testfile.txt
U tx.c
U user2.c

[...]

F:\Engineering\CVSSERVER\HW\SSReceiver\Source\common>C:\Programs\Cvsnt2.0.41\cvs
update
cvs server: Updating .

F:\Engineering\CVSSERVER\HW\SSReceiver\Source\common>C:\Programs\Cvsnt2.0.41\cvs
ver
Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.41a (client/server)
Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.38 (client/server)

To be noted about the setup:
F: is a local NTFS disk
The server is accessed using :sspi:
Connection to the server is via Internet dialup followed by VPN to the
corporate LAN.
The server is a WinXP-Pro box with SP2 applied.
The client is a WinXP-Pro laptop with SP2 applied.

Only switching the client makes this happen...

/Bo Berglund