[cvsnt] Re: build 2040 tag problem

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Jul 27 11:22:14 BST 2005

Mark Levedahl wrote:
> If I update a directory using a numeric tag, e.g.,
>  > cvs up -r1.1

Why would you do that?

It seems like one of those things that should be disallowed, since it
makes no sense to do it (except in the rare case where every single file
in a directory was always updated at the same time... not sure if that
case is worth worrying about).

> any other cvs commands now fail in that directory:
>  > cvs log
> cvs.exe [server aborted]: tag '1.1' must start with a letter

Numeric directory tags are illegal.. they always have been but we
complain more loudly now.