[cvsnt] Re: "An error occurred during logon" - Win2K3, CVSNT 2.0.51

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Jun 7 18:44:16 BST 2005

rfplctu02 at sneakemail.com wrote:

> I originally didn't use that mode because I was under the
> impression that with pserver authentication, passwords would
> be sent over the network with just a simple hash.  This has
> security implications which our system admins find
> unacceptible.

That is true.  pserver is basically unusable on a secure network - even
if you alias the users the passwords for that are still basically
plaintext so easily sniffable.

You're better off with sspi or sserver.  If using older clients that
don't support those you may be able to get gserver working (with an
active directory domain this isn't too hard but still requires fiddling).