[cvsnt] cvs export to a network directory aborts when writing large files

Tom Firl Tom.Firl at ColumbiaUltimate.com
Tue Jun 7 22:18:58 BST 2005

I'm new to the list... so pardon me if this issue has been hashed and re-hashed previously.

I'm trying get cvs to export a module from a remote server to a shared network directory and the cvs export command is giving me an error:

  cvs [export aborted]: writing my_mod/Documentation_Product_Line/pdf/Prod_600.pdf: Invalid argument

The problem seems to occur when cvs export is writing to a destination directory that is on a remote system and the file being written is larger than 64MB.

Here is the cvs command-line that was performed:

  cvs -d :pserver:myuser at myserver:/cvs/dev export -r HEAD -d H:\share\temp\my_mod MyModule

where, the H: drive on the client system is mapped to a share on a remote Windows 2000 server system.

Changing to the H:\share\temp\my_mod directory and omitting the export -d option results in the same error.

FWIW here is the tail end of the trace messages when run with "-t -t":

  cvs export: Updating my_mod/Documentation_Product_Line/pdf
  S -> server_register(Prod_600.pdf, 1.3, , -kb, HEAD, , )
  S -> Register(Prod_600.pdf, 1.3, , -kb, HEAD )
  cvs [export aborted]: writing my_mod/Documentation_Product_Line/pdf/Prod_600.pdf: Invalid argument

The client system is using the "Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.58d" that is bundled with the TortoiseCVS client.  I have also tried the latest cvs.exe (version 1.12.12) from cvshome.org and I get the same error.

Any ideas?

FWIW, the cvs export process works fine when writing to local path (e.g. c:\temp\my_mod).  It also works fine when run from a Linux client using the same remote destination directory mounted via samba.

Tom Firl