[cvsnt] Performance Woes...

Jeremy Weber jeremy.weber at active-endpoints.com
Wed Jun 8 18:14:27 BST 2005

Ughhh, I am having no success in trying to upgrade CVS in terms of
performance.  I would like to move our existing respository to Windows 2003
Server Standard and its a headache.

Our current production system is as follows:

- CVSNT - CVS Version: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10.8
(client/server)
- Windows 2003 Enterprise Server - Runs DHCP, TS, DNS, PDC, NAV 9.0 - not
running on accessed files.
- Xeon 2.8, 1 GB Ram, 2 UATA 7200rpm 40 GB Drives....

When I checkout our lib directory which contains binary files via pserver
over out lan, it takes 56 seconds.

New Test CVS Server. ( Dual Booting Windows 2003 Standard/RedHat ES 4.0)

On Drive 1:
- Windows 2003 Standard Server - Nothing installed/running but CVS.
- CVSNT -  CVS Version: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.10.8
(client/server).
-  2 Xeon 2.8, 2 GB RAM, 1 SATA 7200rpm 80 GB Drive
On Drive 2:
- RedHat Enterprise 4.0
- CVS - Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.17 (client/server)
- 2 Xeon 2.8, 2 GB RAM, 1 SATA 7200rpm 80 GB Drive

Drive 1 Tests
--------------
Test 1 - Checkout time: 24 minutes
Test 2 - Disabled HTing, and CPU2 - 3.5 minutes

Some other tests I have run:
    - local v. domain users
    - pserver v sspi
    - creating cvs temp on a ram disk
    - setting cvsroot with an ip/hostname
    - Using CVSNT  (2.5.01.1976)

Drive 2 Tests
--------------
Test1 - Checkout Time: 15 seconds

Obviously I have some issues with performance.... 15 seconds would be ideal,
24 minutes is utterly unacceptable.   Im no network administrator but have
run the Event Viewer and Performance monitoring tools on 2003 and nothing
glaring stands out.    I have read all posts on this group that I could find
regarding performance and suggestions have worked, at least enough for me to
cut over to the new server.

I'd be willing to test code, implement ideas, anything at this point. Can
anyone help me?

Thanks