[cvsnt] Various Confusions

kopi at scanita.net kopi at scanita.net
Sun Jun 12 22:07:59 BST 2005

I realized, that CVS is exactly what I need in my current
situation, however even after reading some stuff (Cederquist,
FAQ's, etc...), I have big difficulties to get started.

What is confusing me, is the client server relation. I installed
WinCVS and was able to create and use a repository. Later on I
installed the Tortoise CVS client. After this one was complaining,
about the NTCVS's version, I installed a recent NTCVS release.
After that, I was able to use the previously created repository,
simultanously with Tortoise CVS and WinCVS.

Now, what is going on with this setup? Which NTCVS server is used
here? (WinCVS has its own, right?)

Can two servers share the same repository and if yes, is that
recommended?

Is a server strictly necessary or can a CVS repository handled
completely on a file basis? (otherwise, what are the lock files
used for?)

How can I setup remote access (over a LAN)? What protocol should I
use (I don't need a lot of security, I just want a simple way). So
far I could only establish :local: access.

Is it true, that changing the protocol later on is painful?

FYI, I have WinXP on my main machine, where the repository
supposed to be. I would like to access the repository from this
machine as well as from my Win2k laptop (using mainly the Tortoise
CVS client on both of them).

Please help me, I so confused...

-Sacha