[cvsnt] Re: Keyword 'properties' breaks rcs keyword ordering

Bertho Stultiens bertho at akhphd.au.dk
Mon Jun 13 22:36:36 BST 2005

> Tony Hoyle write:
> properties
> 	notes:@fixes a bug in the widgets code; to test.@
> 	to_test:@development team 3@;

Actually, this is quite acceptable for CVS. There has always been some
problems with the definitions in the format and that is why most parsers
take a liberal approach. They parse each newphrase part as:

<newkeyword> <junktext> ;

Where junktext may contain embedded string encapsulations (using @). The
parser simply reads until it encounters the first unescaped semicolon.

If I read the cvsnt code correctly, then it uses a similar method to
circumvent the ambiguities of the original rcsfile definition. This method
has been established (silently) for many years. Note that even cvsnt defines
the 'properties' extension using the same established format. My only
problem is its position in the grammatical sense.

--
Greetings Bertho

NOTE: Dear Outlook users: Please remove me from your address books.
      Read this article and you know why:
      http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/21/143258