[cvsnt] Re: Keyword 'properties' breaks rcs keyword ordering

Bertho Stultiens bertho at akhphd.au.dk
Mon Jun 13 23:19:48 BST 2005

> David Somers wrote:
> > Tony Hoyle wrote:
> > I'm not aware of anything that parses the files directly any more
> > though.. cvsgraph was a surprise as I'd always assumed that just called
> > rcslog.

I tried in the beginning, but the different versions of the rcslog format
were a problem. I dropped remote access for a "better" way to get to all the
data that I needed, although parsing the files has had its drawbacks too.
The conclusion thus far has been an advantage (also note that I didn't
support cvsnt prior to CvsGraph 1.5.1).

> It was a surprise to me too... I though I'd dig into the code to see why I
> was getting a parse error, then suddenly I found myself face-to-face with
> lex and yacc!

Welcome to real - old fashioned - programming. I started using lex/yacc over
15 years ago and can't keep my hands off :-) Simply a great toolset to get
things done.

The real fun part is that the first bug-report about the cvsnt problems has
been *less* than 5 hours ago (Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:24:08 +0200, CEST that is,
according to the mail). I already fixed 2 and am waiting for a testfile to
fix a third (will have to wait til tomorrow, I need to sleep). Anyway, I'd
never imagined that it would spark such a discussion this fast.

--
Greetings Bertho

NOTE: Dear Outlook users: Please remove me from your address books.
      Read this article and you know why:
      http://newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/08/21/143258