[cvsnt] Re: Binary diff and compression of binaries in CVSNT 2.5.01 (Build 1998)

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Jun 16 13:39:48 BST 2005

Andreas Tscharner wrote:

> I remember that a binary diff and even compression for binaries on
> the server side was implemented some time ago, but I thought that
> these feature needed to be activated.  But the control panel does not
> seem to provide anything to activate binary diff or binary
> compression?

It's handled on a file-by-file basis. You need to either add files for
which you want this activated with the -kB option in the first place or
change the option after the fact using update -kB followed by commit -f.

-kB is for binary deltas only. For delta compression you should also
add "z", i.e. -kBz . However, Tony once pointed out that there is a
significant performance penalty for delta compression so you should
only use it when space is really more expensive than time for you.

Hope this helps.

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org