[cvsnt] Web interface

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Fri Jun 17 11:51:57 BST 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

> We are using Inno 4.2.7, which was current not so long ago...
> It is not our practice to update such important tools if they work
> fine for us since we rely heavily on the installers. So even if there
> are a number of new features I don't want to change if a consequence
> is that we cannot use our automated setup build system anymore. This
> system scripts everything from the extrcation of the relevant product
> files (binaries and other) and the Innosetup scripts to the 4.2.7
> Innosetup version from CVS (yes, I have stored the needed Inno files
> in CVS so that we are quite sure what is building our setups...).

Sure, I have no problem with that. I was just noting that the script
could be massively simplified by using the new features in IS 5.1 .

> Concerning the webserver detection:
> The main purpose was to also install the ViewCvs application in the
> webserver environment and therefore I really need to find the server
> itself. I also need to know how to get the ViewCvs installed properly
> on the server. So far I have done it on IIS 4, IIS 5 and IIS 6 (all
> different of course...) plus Apache 2.

Sure, nothing wrong with that. I was just suggesting to implement a
manual fallback mechanism in case the automatic detection failed.
AFAICT, for Apache all you need to know really is the location of the
httpd.conf file. If you cannot find it automatically, just let the user
specify it himself if he wants to integrate with Apache.

I don't think this procedure is necessary for IIS or Python or CVSNT as
well. The detection for them is pretty standardized. For Apache OTOH
there exist a multitude of different Windows distributions many of
which do not leave the specific traces in the registry that you are
currently checking for.

Actually I have spent the morning writing a new script based on your
sources (but using the new IS 5.1 functionality). The UI with all the
checks and extra pages is already there. It's just not doing anything
yet once you hit the "Install" button eventually... I guess I can copy
most of that from your script.
Stay tuned.

Cheers,

--