[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT vs. CVS (on Linux using Apache)

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Jun 29 15:13:20 BST 2005

Per.Yllfors at readsoft.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am interested to find information about the differences between CVSNT and CVS (on Linux).
> I hope to find impartial information of what CVSNT can provide as well as CVS.

The old CvsntAdvantages page is a bit out of date but lists some of the
differences... the big ones being things like mergepoints and
sspi/active directory integration.

> For example:
> Maximum length of filenames? X character in CVS and Y characters in CVSNT?

That's the same on both.. determined entirely by the OS.  Windows has a
limit of 260 characters for total length of the path including filename,
but CVSNT on Unix has no such limitation (althouth you'll want to keep
it below that if you have clients that use Windows).

> Email notification to specified users when one commit a file to the repository? Supported in CVS and/or CVSNT?

It's supported by various scripts on both.  Not much difference there.
There's a list of them in the wiki.

There's also a simple builtin email generator in the latest builds of
cvsnt, although it's no replacement for a purpose built script.