[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT 2.0.58d CPU performance problems and the lockserver

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed Mar 2 15:06:07 GMT 2005

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> Edward Patterson wrote:
>
>>    We are currently running into performance issues with CVSNT. Even
>> with the AV turned off on the repository directory and the reverse DNS
>
> Firstly make sure the AV is truly disabled - turning it off sometimes
> doesn't do what it says.

To echo what Tony is saying, the best way to test if your AV software is
at fault it to uninstall it _completely_ for the duration of the test.
The reason for this is that most AV software with "on access scanning"
does it business by adding a hook to each read and write from disk.
Even if you disable on-access scanning for a specific directory, the
hook still gets called for each read/write and the AV software returns
immediately for those directories on its ignore list.  This degrades
very badly for applications which use lots of small temporary files
(i.e. not just cvsnt).

You may have to choose a different AV package for this server (or host
the repository under Linux and not worry about AV scanning at all).

HTH

John