[cvsnt] Re: using old CVSROOT

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Mar 2 21:59:43 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:35:58 -0600, "Chorian, Deanna"
<dchorian at t-systemsus.com> wrote:

>Hello everyone,
> I am very new to CVS so please forgive me if this is an obvious one.  I recently installed cvsnt (2.0.58d) and wincvs on a laptop running windows 200 that uses DHCP to obtain an IP address.  When I set up the repositories and CVSROOT I used the IP address assigned to the laptop at that time.  It is now several days later and I have a new IP address assigned.  I have set CVSROOT to use the new IP and I am trying to login to cvs but the error message keeps telling me it can't access the old IP.
>
>I tried logging in using the -d option to supply the info and was able to login to cvs but then when I try to do any command it tells me it can't access the server and gives the old IP.
>
>I have tried unistalling and reinstalling cvsnt and wincvs (even installed a newer version of this, now using 13b24), logging out, and rebooting!  Somehow it is still remembering that old IP!!  I have looked everywhere I can think of for a file containing this but to no avail.
>
>Does anyone know how to fix this???
>
>THANKS in ADVANCE FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!!
>Most Humbly,
>Deanna Chorian

If you have this setup you should create an entry in the HOSTS file
(%Windows%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) where you connect the current
IP address to the PC name.

Then run the CHANGEROOT macro in WinCvs and replace the existing IP
for the name you used in the hosts file. This is important, CVS
*always* uses the cached root information from the sandbox so you will
not be able to accomplish anything by changing the environment
variable CVSROOT...
If you have a CVSROOT like :sspi:user at 123.123.123.123:/repository then
the new one set by the CHANGEROOT macro will be:
:sspi:user at servername:/repository
Now go to the sandbox and enter cvs login in the command window. Enter
your password now for the last time. :-)

Now you should be able to use CVS transparently.

If you get a new IP address then just edit the hosts file again
replacing the old IP with the new but keeping the same name.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)