[cvsnt] Re: CVSLock 2.0.58d - perfomance issues - reposted

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Mar 4 01:12:37 GMT 2005

Joe Enfield wrote:
> Just wanted to report that we are seeing the same sort of problem with CVSNT
> server 2.0.58a.
> We do not have AV installed.
>
> It looks like it initially got FUBARed when one person was committing some
> changes and at the same time another person was trying to create a developer
> branch.
> One of the cvs processes hung, and eventually used up 2GB of memory on the
> server.

Sounds like a deadlock situation.  You kill off one of the deadlocked
processes, and it continues normally.  CVSNT's locks are more fine
grained than they used to be (was directory only, now is file level) so
I would guess that this is a natural consequence (not good, but
natural).  Unfortunately I can't offer any help here -- best bet is to
try an set up some sort of scripting in a test environment that can
repro the problem and submit it.  If it can be repeated, it can be fixed.

Note that I'm just speculating on the solution.  I haven't been
following this much since I don't have a lot to offer with this problem.

Good luck.

--
Glen Starrett