[cvsnt] Re: Forcing server character set?

Torkild Ulvøy Resheim torkildr at resheim.no
Tue Mar 8 16:24:01 GMT 2005

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 15:49, Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Torkild Ulvøy Resheim wrote:
> > That is not correct. You can set Eclipse up to use any character set you
> > want.
>
> It doesn't have any code to actually use them though.  It sends no
The editor(s) will use them.
> character set queries to the CVS server and in fact will fail in many
> situations because of this.
Ah... Ok.

> > The problem is that the project is set up to use Cp850, when using the
> > visual diff (which is eclipse) it thinks that the character set coming
> > from the CVS server is Cp1252.
>
> This is an eclipse bug.  The file has *no* character set.
Yeah, however... I've checked the code that retrieved the file from the
server. It sets the character set to whatever the server reports. So I
figured it would be possible to let the server report a character set to
Eclipse thus avoiding any problems. Now I see that this has been reported as
a bug in Eclipse. If the diff utility could use whatever character set
specified in the Eclipse project the problem would be solved.

This can be fixed temporary by setting the Eclipse default character set to
Cp850. It would create a mess when i.e. mixing java and vdf projects in the
same workspace.

> Tony

Thanks for all the help :-)
--
Med vennlig hilsen / Kind regards                                  ((
Torkild Ulvøy Resheim, Senior Systemutvikler / Software Engineer    ))