[cvsnt] Re: Overwriting changes

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Mar 15 01:44:25 GMT 2005

David Vo wrote:
> Question: How does cvsnt know that the file is currently the latest
> version and ready to commit? Is it the time stamp?

No, it's the contents of the CVS/Entries file, which is always
authoritative.

The timestamp is simply an equality check... does the timestamp in
CVS/Entries equal the timestamp on the file or not - that affects
whether a commit occurs or not.  The timestamp is reset correctly,
(except on network drives, but they're not supported).

Given the number of users using 2.0.58d and the popularity of
edit/unedit my vote is still having an open file and resaving it...
anything wrong with the update mechanism would have been found months ago.