[cvsnt] Re: Ownerships and Permissions

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Wed Mar 23 03:13:36 GMT 2005

Daniel Hedge wrote:
> If you are managing the contents of the configuration files in /etc
> for instance a change in ownerships when you try to rollback to a
> previous version would be catastrophic. Or managing the changes to teh
> contents of a webserver for another.

You really don't want to make /etc into a sandbox.  Plus for the sake of
security it is a really bad idea to run a sandbox as root (it is in fact
impossible to commit files as root).  I wouldn't be prepared to support
such usage.

Many people manage webservers using cvs/cvsnt.  This is handled easily
using postcommit scripts.  File ownership just isn't an issue - everyone
has their own sandboxes and manages their own copy of the system.  The
global copy needs to be writable for cvs users of course but once under
source control no editing is done on the site itself.

There is simply no way of doing this on any normal OS anyway... the OS
specifically stops you from creating files under a user other than
yourself, to stop people using others' quotas.