[cvsnt] how to use chacl?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Mar 23 07:19:24 GMT 2005

I tried to duplicate the behaviour I had seen on the cvsnt repository
by setting the acl to read for a folder on a branch.
However when I then tried to commit a changed file on that branch
nothing was blocked, the commit went through just fine.
So I believe that I am using the chacl command wrong.
This is what I did:
cvs chacl -a read -r Branch_Test -m "branch locked for commits"
TestFolder
***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****

setting ACL for directory TestFolder

Then I updated the folder to that branch (it was not previously on the
branch).
Next I edited a file inside the folder and on the branch specified in
chacl and committed:

cvs commit -m "Trying to commit to a readonly branch" -- TestFile.txt
(in directory F:\Engineering\Projects\Bosse\ModuleXX\TestFolder\)
Checking in TestFile.txt;
/KORVkiosk/ModuleXX/TestFolder/TestFile.txt,v  <--  TestFile.txt
new revision: 1.1.2.1; previous revision: 1.1
done

***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****

Apparently I did not manage to lock down the branch after all...
How am I supposed to do this, there are no examples in the cvs help
file.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)