[cvsnt] Re: CVSNT Clarification...

Luigi D. Sandon cp at sandon.it
Fri Mar 25 09:20:07 GMT 2005

> 1) Now to checkout and modify any file, do I need to checkout the files with ", v" in "c:\repository" folder or the files in "c:\project" folder?

In CVS "checkout" will create a new "sandbox" and usually is done once
(per module). A "sandbox" is a working directory under CVS control and
is *outside* the repository. CVSNT has an option to initialize a sandbox
while importing. Otherwise, you have to import first and then checkout.

Think the repository as a "black box", or a kind of database. How data
are stored there is a CVS matter, not users'. Usually the repository is
on a remote machine, while the sandbox is local, but you can have a
local repository. Neverthless, you always work in a sandbox, never in
the repository.

You work in the sanbox and update and commit files with the names they
have there.

To pull files from the repository once the sandbox has been initialized,
CVS uses the "update" command. The files are pulled from the repository
and put in the sandbox (c:\project in your case).

> 2) Does CVSNT need to have "c:\project" folder for checkin and checkout operations and maintaining the repository?

As explained above, you have to checkout files in a sandbox to work
within. Then you can send modified files to the repository via commits
and CVS will keep track of versions.

> 3) Can I take a backup of "c:\project" directory and remove it from my hard disk?

Yes, but then you can no longer work - unless you checkout files in
another sanbox.

> 4) Also can I checkout/checkin individual files rather than a whole module?

AFAIK in CVS "checkout" will pull a whole module because it is used to
create a sandbox. Once you have a sandbox, you can use update and commit
to work on individual files.