[cvsnt] Re: Ignoring binary files on merge

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Mar 25 15:02:57 GMT 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 09:44:43 -0500, "Nicholson, Eric"
<enicholson at parappsys.com> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a good way to automatically keep the current binary file
>if a merge will produce a conflict, rather than performing the default
>"copy" operation?  I looked at the cvswrappers doc, but  copy" or "merge"
>don't quite do what I want.
>
>I'm getting ready to maintain two versions of a product for the long-haul as
>branches in CVS, one with new features and another with just maintenance
>fixes. Unfortunately there are some unavoidable binary resource files that
>need to be maintained with the source code.  I realize that it will keep a
>backup in the case that it overwrites my file, but in this particular case,
>I'd rather it just do nothing.

CVS *never* just overwrites a modified file in the sandbox with the
server file! Instead it does this:
1) Text files are merged with the difference between sandbox rev and
server rev.

2) Binary (non-mergeable) files are instead renamed in the sandbox to
.#<filename>.<oldrev>, only then is the server side binary file
fetched. Example: resource.dll => .#resource.dll.1.35

So for binaries CVS automatically creates the backups if needed!

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)