[cvsnt] Re: Enabling logging for tags

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Mar 25 15:18:25 GMT 2005

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:04:02 -0500, "John Albrecht"
<albrecht_john at bah.com> wrote:

>I have looked at several email discussion threads and web reference material
>to setup logging of tags. What type of information can you gather in the
>log? Does it tell you who created/moved/deleted the tag and provide datetime
>stamp? We are using CVSNT 2.0.58d on Windows 2003 Server.  Thanks, John.

AFAICT Tags are not timestamped and the tag name is only associated
with a single revision of the file. Moreover a tag can be moved from
one revision to another at any given time (without versioning). So
there is no way to look through a repository and determine *when* a
certain tag was set on files.
The only way I can figure this out is if you have a taginfo script in
the server that monitors the tag calls and separately maintains a log
of these. If you do this you can easily get both timestamps and
usernames. But also consider that tags are kept in individual files so
the log will be substantial...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)