[cvsnt] Re: Enabling logging for tags

John Albrecht albrecht_john at bah.com
Fri Mar 25 15:27:59 GMT 2005

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org [mailto:cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org] On Behalf Of
Bo Berglund
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 10:18 AM
To: cvsnt at cvsnt.org
Subject: [cvsnt] Re: Enabling logging for tags

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 10:04:02 -0500, "John Albrecht" <albrecht_john at bah.com>
wrote:

>I have looked at several email discussion threads and web reference
>material to setup logging of tags. What type of information can you
>gather in the log? Does it tell you who created/moved/deleted the tag
>and provide datetime stamp? We are using CVSNT 2.0.58d on Windows 2003
>Server.  Thanks, John.

AFAICT Tags are not timestamped and the tag name is only associated with a
single revision of the file. Moreover a tag can be moved from one revision
to another at any given time (without versioning). So there is no way to
look through a repository and determine *when* a certain tag was set on
files. The only way I can figure this out is if you have a taginfo script in
the server that monitors the tag calls and separately maintains a log of
these. If you do this you can easily get both timestamps and usernames. But
also consider that tags are kept in individual files so the log will be
substantial...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)