[cvsnt] Actions on rename?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Mar 27 20:36:23 BST 2005

I have just tested (for the first time actually) a cvs rename on a
file in my test repository.
What I did was this:
<quote>
cvs rename ThirdBranchFile.txt BranchFile3.txt

***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****

cvs.exe rename: Warning: rename is still experimental and may not
behave as you would expect</quote>

Notice the output.

Since I read that one must also commit in order to complete the rename
I did so:
<quote>
F:\Engineering\Projects\Bosse\ModuleXX>cvs commit -m"Committing rename
operation"
cvs commit: Examining .
cvs commit: Examining NewCommon
cvs commit: Examining Source
cvs commit: Examining TestFolder
cvs commit: Examining TestFolder3
cvs commit: Examining TestFolder5
cvs commit: Examining TestFolder6
cvs commit: Examining Testfolder2
cvs commit: Examining Testfolder4
cvs server: Examining .
cvs server: Examining NewCommon
cvs server: Examining Source
cvs server: Examining TestFolder
cvs server: Examining TestFolder3
cvs server: Examining TestFolder5
cvs server: Examining TestFolder6
cvs server: Examining Testfolder2
cvs server: Examining Testfolder4
/KORVkiosk/ModuleXX/.directory_history,v  <--  directory update
new revision: 1.1.2.1; previous revision: 1.1
done</quote>

My question now is:
What is going on here? It seems to traverse all of the constituent
folders twice...

And is there no trigger of loginfo following the commit on rename?
I would be interested to know how one could trigger an email when
someone renames a file, seems to be a rather important event in the
module...

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)