[cvsnt] Re: Actions on rename?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Mar 27 20:47:36 BST 2005

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 21:36:23 +0200, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:

>I have just tested (for the first time actually) a cvs rename on a
>file in my test repository.
>What I did was this:
><quote>
>cvs rename ThirdBranchFile.txt BranchFile3.txt
>
>***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****
>
>cvs.exe rename: Warning: rename is still experimental and may not
>behave as you would expect</quote>

Just noticed thta my new renamed file is unknown by the system...
Look what happened:
cvs log BranchFile3.txt
***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****
cvs server: nothing known about BranchFile3.txt

And if I try to use WinCvs to graph the file it fails with the same
error message. But the file itself has retained its CVS file status in
the WinCvs display. In the Entries and Entries.Extra files there are
no particularly strange data either. Looks for all intents and
purposes like the file name is the new name and the old is all gone.

Is this behaviour known or part of the experimental thing?

Note:
The folder in which I did the rename is updated to a branch, but the
file itself has been updated to HEAD within the branched folder.
And both server and client are 2.5.01 (they share the same cvs.exe
file).

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)