[cvsnt] Re: invalid lock server...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed May 11 22:05:04 BST 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005 14:42:07 -0500, John Cole <john.cole at uai.com>
wrote:

>Glen,
>  Thanks for the quick reply.  I was aware of issues between the old setup
>and the new msi based one, so I uninstalled cvs 2.0.51c before loading the
>latest one.  I did not reboot between uninstalling the old one and the new
>one however, but I did reboot after loading the new one.  Is there something
>that could be setup wrong?
>
>  I can run a cvs version command on the server and it responds fine.  But
>on any client running 2.0.62.1817 or older, I'm getting the invalid
>lockserver error.
>
>Thanks,
>
>John Cole

This sounds screwy to me, there is no reason the cvs *client* should
even think about contacting the lockserver. That is purely a thing for
the cvsnt *server*.
And the server install always installs both the cvsnt service and the
lockserver service and they are synchronized to each other.

Could it be that you are trying to use the client against the
repository with :local:, thus bypassing the server? That is the only
reason I can find for a client to even start looking for locks. But
then if you have two different versions of cvsnt on the same PC and
use them nilly-willy then I guess you can get an incompatible call...
Better get rid of 2.0.62 altogether and only use the server cvs.exe.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)