[cvsnt] Re: invalid lock server...

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed May 11 23:14:40 BST 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005 23:05:04 +0200, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund at telia.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 11 May 2005 14:42:07 -0500, John Cole <john.cole at uai.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Glen,
>>  Thanks for the quick reply.  I was aware of issues between the old setup
>>and the new msi based one, so I uninstalled cvs 2.0.51c before loading the
>>latest one.  I did not reboot between uninstalling the old one and the new
>>one however, but I did reboot after loading the new one.  Is there something
>>that could be setup wrong?
>>
>>  I can run a cvs version command on the server and it responds fine.  But
>>on any client running 2.0.62.1817 or older, I'm getting the invalid
>>lockserver error.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>John Cole
>
>This sounds screwy to me, there is no reason the cvs *client* should
>even think about contacting the lockserver. That is purely a thing for
>the cvsnt *server*.
>And the server install always installs both the cvsnt service and the
>lockserver service and they are synchronized to each other.
>
>Could it be that you are trying to use the client against the
>repository with :local:, thus bypassing the server? That is the only
>reason I can find for a client to even start looking for locks. But
>then if you have two different versions of cvsnt on the same PC and
>use them nilly-willy then I guess you can get an incompatible call...
>Better get rid of 2.0.62 altogether and only use the server cvs.exe.

---- Below received *directly* to me, should have been to list ----
Bo,
2.0.62.1817 is what is installed with the latest version of
TortoiseCVS which is all I have loaded on my machine.  The server
machine is a W2K3 server and does not get that error when run with the
cvs.exe installed with 2.5.01.1927.

I don't have any :local: repositories on my machine and my sandbox was
checked out via :sspi: from the previous 2.0.51c server before
upgrading.

I downgraded the server to 2.0.62.1874 and things worked normally.  I
would have thought that 2.5.01.1927 would work with previous versions
of cvsnt clients.

Thanks,

John Cole
------- Reply follows ------

I don't understand this then, why should the *server* act differently
concerning its locking tasks just because of different versions of the
client contacting it over the network from another PC???
As far as I have understood it this happens:
client is 2.0.62.1817:
lockserver error message on server concerning lockserver version

switch client to 2.5.01.1927:
no lockserver error message on server anymore

If this is correct then Tony might have some digging to do....

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)