[cvsnt] Re: Question about administrative file syntax

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon May 23 21:47:06 BST 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:58:23 -0400, dzielke at aep.com wrote:

Works for me....

Here is the commitinfo line I used for testing:
DEFAULT F:/committest.bat "%s" ""%m"" "%p"

Note the double quotes, they are necessary wherever you can expect a
space separated list of arguments. Probably also needed for the %s
parameter.

Here is the batch file called.
@echo off
echo committest.bat executing
echo Parameter 1: %1
echo Parameter 2: %2
echo Parameter 3: %3

This is the output on the client side when I commit a file through
WinCvs:

cvs commit -m "Testing commitinfo..." -- ThirdFile.txt (in directory
F:\Engineering\Projects\Bosse\ModuleXX\)
committest.bat executing

Parameter 1: ThirdFile.txt

Parameter 2: "Testing commitinfo..."

Parameter 3: ModuleXX

Checking in ThirdFile.txt;
/KORVkiosk/ModuleXX/ThirdFile.txt,v  <--  ThirdFile.txt
done
CVSMailer processing
CVSMailer processing consolidated messages

***** CVS exited normally with code 0 *****

Before I added the extra quotes each separate word in the message was
sent to commitinfo as a separate parameter, which of course renders
the system unusable since one does know beforehand how many words the
message consists of.

Come to think of it, I guess this is similar to a bug we had during
the pre 2.5.01 release testing where a parameter consisting of a space
separated list was passed in a way that made the command interpreter
cut it into individual parameters. Tony fixed that back then for
loginfo (or was it taginfo, I don't remember now).
So Tony, could you have a look at this case too, please?

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)