[cvsnt] Re: Setting up a CVSNT server to allow remote access

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri May 27 23:52:21 BST 2005

Dan Evans wrote:

>>--XP Home won't work, nor Win9x.
>>

>Damn, I was worried about that... we're using XP home. There's really
>no way at all to get it working?

That was the nutshell version -- fact is you can use XPHome but there
are some significant limitations.  Specifically, you can't properly
authenticate external users.  With XP Home all external users come in as
"guest", a limitation placed there by MS.  I don't know if using a
passwd file for users would work around that, I think it might.

I recommend you upgrade your server box, if not to a real server OS
(e.g. Win200x Server or Linux) then at least to XP Pro.  Linux works
well and you can use SSH out of the box with it, and set up Samba for
domain authentication, Windows file and print shares, etc. etc.

Glen Starrett