[cvsnt] Re: Some Question about CVSNT 's permission mode.

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Sat May 28 13:37:34 BST 2005

timesking wrote:

> now I found that cvsuser1 can check in new module.
> cvsuser1 can do anything except admin power.
>
> But I dislike a new user have any access without cvsadmin's permission.

That's not really what happens... someone has to add the new user, and
that's typically the repository admin. So by adding the user, the admin
explicitly gives the user permission to access the repository, in any way
the admin determines through the repository ACLs and the file system ACLs
(if you are using NTFS).

> 1. Can I set a cvs permission mode for that any new user only has nothing
> of permission or only has read permission? How to do it?

Something like "cvs chacl -a read,nowrite,nocreate,notag,nocontrol" on the
repository root would give by default only read access. The admin would
have to explicitly open additional permissions for individual groups or
users on individual modules or the whole repository. (File system ACLs can
be used similarly on NTFS.)

> 2. Can I set a new cvs user only can have write access to one module
> with easy method?

Same as above... use write and create instead. Not sure if you can deny
read access but give write access, if that is what you mean. Not sure this
makes sense, though. A repository is not an ftp server :)

Gerhard