[cvsnt] Re: Sync of Local and Remote CVS Server

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon May 30 17:01:37 BST 2005

On Mon, 30 May 2005 14:06:46 +0000 (UTC), "Oliver Giesen"
<ogware at gmx.net> wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>
>> The sandbox concept is not as good because there will be a lot of
>> manual handling of added and removed files. This is automatically
>> taken care of by the cvs import command.
>
>FTR: Actually the remove part is not quite as automatic. You'll always
>have to make sure to perform a delta merge on a HEAD checkout
>(-jLastRelease -jCurrentRelease) after the Import in order to have
>files cvs removed that are no longer part of the current release.

Oh, I thought that this was handled, but I never really tried myself.
The only sources where I have used this was when getting a lot of
archived embedded controller software into CVS and in this case there
were no dropped files, only added ones. Added files were added as they
should.

>I'd really like to see that handled automatically as well in the
>future... maybe by introducing some new option in order to retain
>compatibility with GNU CVS? Would that be feasible, Tony?

Yes, that would be good. THere are already non-GNU options to import
that I use a lot in order NOT to create the Vendor branch for example.
Another one that would cvs remove files not impoprted would be good
too.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)