[cvsnt] huge server update step

Gerhard Fiedler lists at connectionbrazil.com
Fri Nov 25 13:48:50 GMT 2005

Bo Berglund wrote:

>> File names with ampersands in them didn't get handled correctly. The
>> ampersands got placed verbatim into the XML files, and they don't like
>> that. Were only a few, and I could easily edit that by hand (replaced
>> the "&" with the correct "&") -- which seems to have fixed the
>> issue. Newly added files with ampersands in their names seem to get
>> inserted correctly.
>
> Where does XML files come into this???

On the server, CVS/fileattr.xml seems to contain a list of all the files in
a given module.

> Ampersands in file and folder names was not handled in some earlier
> versions but that was fixed quite rapidly once I discovered the problem,
> so I am surprised that it has surfaced again. Have to do some more tests
> on my test repository to see where it breaks again.

AFAICT, this only happened as part of the upgrade (2.0.34 to 2.5.03), when
transforming the fileattr files into fileattr.xml. The fileattr.xml files
that were generated by the server, apparently when first accessing a
module, contained the file names without using & for &. The file I
added after the upgrade as a test did get handled correctly, so I think
it's not the normal file handling, but the part that gets invoked when
transforming an older fileattr file into the newer fileattr.xml.

> You should never have to edit RCS files by hand to fix issues like that!

I didn't edit RCS files. I edited the fileattr.xml files. Seems to work
after that. And seems to be a one-time issue after the first access of a
module that contains files with & in their names.

Gerhard