[cvsnt] merge error/feature when merging to branch and back

Flávio Etrusco flavio.etrusco at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 19:35:48 GMT 2005

> > If there isn't, you could merge the branchpoint revision
> > to your branch, and then overwrite the resulting file with the branch
> > file =D
>
> I don't understand what you mean. Can you explain it a bit more?

Doh!
Only after writing all the instructions with every imaginable detail I
realized I was running around to mimmic the behaviour of a single
option. When merging back to trunk do:

cvs update -b -j <branch>

It'll (according to the documentation, I didn't try it...) ignore the
mergepoints.

> > Sure it's not an option, it's a _need_. How come you can even consider
> > committing changes without checking the code? Unless of course you mean
> > you're not going to merge at all.
>
> Of course I check all changes files before committing. The problem is that
> if a file has the described problem, some code is probably being removed
> incorrectly. (...)

I apologize for the misinterpretation. I guess I was a bit influenced
by that other (the first one) reply ;-) Indeed, it would be a scary
task.

Regards,
Flávio