[cvsnt] Re: Structuring repositories

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Nov 28 16:55:15 GMT 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:57:35 +0400, Vinay Jhumun
<ljhumun at sil.intnet.mu> wrote:

>Hi,
>Can anyone help me out plz,
>Well, am a bit confused about how to structure my repositories.
>I have different departments here, one is Softdev and the other one is
>Support.
>In the Softdev department there are maybe let say, 6 projects.
>Well, i need some advice how to create the repositories.
>
>Option 1. --Shud i create 6 diferrent repositories for the six projects
>for the
>something like zat:
>/CVSREPOSITORIES/Softdev/Project1
>/CVSREPOSITORIES/Softdev/Project2
>.
>.
>./CVSREPOSITORIES/Softdev/Project6
>

>or
>Option 2. --Shud i create just one repository and do a cvs import to put
>the six projects there
>

>I need such advice cause for each project there are specific team
>members and there will be mail notification etc....

Unless you have a *really good* reason to create a repository for each
project (maybe different customers where you want to keep the teams
working on the various parst separated) you should *not* do that.

Just create a module for each project in the same repository.

Mail can still be handled in a granular fashion using CVSMailer for
example.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)