[cvsnt] mirror/synchronize cvs repositories (CVSNTUpd) ?

Arthur Barrett arthur.barrett at march-hare.com
Mon Nov 28 21:03:18 GMT 2005

Bernhard/Bo,

>And why do you think this is necessary at all?
>CVS can be used just fine with accesses across the
>globe, in fact many of my CVS modules are located on
>servers at long distances from myself and they work
>just fine. I don't really understand why you and your
>supplier cannot share the same CVS server. I think
>that you are imaging the shortcomings of other version
>control tools onto CVS and then you think you have to
>solve a problem that is not even there!

Don't mirror or try to sync, instead both use one
>single CVS server and you will be fine.

Ditto.

Or use vendor branches if the "external supplier" really is an external
supplier - that is what vendor branches are for.... I define an
"external supplier" as one who is autonomous and delivers the same
software to several customers and therefore by definition the client
cannot modify the vendors code - but perhaps may modify it for their own
purpose.  Ie: the code modifications are not accepted back by the
external supplier.  If the external supplier accepts modifications back
(eg: outsourced software development in India) then they are actually an
internal supplier in which case Bo's solution is the best one.

Regards,

Arthur Barrett