[cvsnt] cvsnt limit of large binary file

Daben Liu dliu at bbn.com
Mon Nov 28 22:05:38 GMT 2005

We need some help in solving or explaining an out-of-memory problem.

We experienced an "out of memory" failure when using TortoiseCVS
client and CVSNT server in pserver mode to extract a 300MB binary
file. The error message is as follows:

cvs [server aborted]: out of memory; can not reallocate 341835776 bytes

Here're some symptoms:
1. The file has 2 revisions so the file size in the repository is
   around 700M
2. The file can be checked out successfully if checked out alone.
   However, it will fail if checked out within a module with some other
   files being checked out before it.
3. When turning on the server file trace, the trace log shows the
rcsbuf_fill
   is expanded to 339738624l before failing. However, from task manager,
the
   report of virtual memory is only around 600MB.
4. The problem does not appear if we check out from the linux cvs server
   with the same repository (the same copy).
5. We ran the cvsnt server on Windows 2003 server standard edition
6. The physical memory on the cvsnt server is 2GB with a 4GB virtual memory.
   So memory availability should not be the issue.

We really appreciate if someone can shed some lights on the problem.
Is it a known problem?
What causes this problem?
Why linux cvs server works but not cvsnt server?
Is there a solution/walk-around to this problem?

Let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks in advance.

Daben