[cvsnt] mirror/synchronize cvs repositories (CVSNTUpd) ?

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Wed Nov 30 13:30:12 GMT 2005

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
> There must be some language barrier here. I was talking about _mirroring_ a
> cvs server in another location (not synchronizing two servers), and I was
> talking about doing that maybe once or twice a day (not 24/7).

Same difference... if you do it less often there's more data, and it
takes longer.

It's far better data wise to do it more often since something like rsync
  will generate little data on a 15 minute sync but could tie up the
server for a long time if you did it once a day for example.

For pure backup purposes (which is pretty much all the current
synchronisation is designed for) it works OK, since having a copy that's
potentially slightly out of date is fine for backup... in a recovery
situation you've got bigger problems.  As a live server, it's less
useful, since being out of date matters (especially if you've managed to
pick up half a commit).

For your purposes it sounds like you can do what you need with 'cvs
update' and be sure you have the latest working copy.. there's really no
need for the second server.