[cvsnt] Preventing branch creation with ACL

Fred Machado fmmach at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 14:51:50 BST 2005

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to prevent branch creation in my CVS project, as I want
users to create branches from specific tagged versions instead of the
latest revisions from the HEAD branch. To do so, I'm using the ACL
feature. This is how I'm setting ACL's for my project:

fmmach$ cvs lsacl
Directory: .
Owner: fmmach

branch=HEAD
        write(deny)
        create(deny)
        tag(deny)

branch=STABLE
        tag

This is the output for my project's root directory. Every other
directory in the project is set the same way (as I used the -R option
along the chacl command).
As you can see, I have blocked commits, tag creation and file creation
in my HEAD. Then, I have specified that if you have the STABLE tag in
your working directory, you may create a branch/tag from that point.
Of course, I'll have to add another entry to my own user so that I can
perform administrative tasks in the HEAD, but one thing at a time,
right?
In fact, as I try to create a new branch whitout having the STABLE
sticky tag, I get a message saying that I'm not allowed to do that,
which is what I expected. But as I try to create my branch from the
STABLE tag, I don't get any denying message; actually, nothing happens
at all. I suspect that this is because the tags "freeze" your
development, preventing you from commiting and so on. If my suspicions
are right, how will I accomplish my need of allowing users to branch
from a specific, stable release of the software?

Thanks a lot for reading to this point! :^)
And sorry if the question is too dummy...

Fred