[cvsnt] Re: Conrtol Panel will not open

Anthony Williams anthony_w.geo at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 11 16:49:34 BST 2005

Tony Hoyle <tony.hoyle at march-hare.com> writes:

> Anthony Williams wrote:
>
>> If you want an applet to run safely, the best thing is to ensure that it
>> runs fine, whatever the current directory is, and whatever is on the path,
>> which either means static linking of dependencies, or modifying the DLL
>> names (e.g. cvsnt_iconv.dll, cvsnt_expat.dll)
>
> This happened because someone put a copy of iconv.dll in system32.. I'd
> *expect* breakage in that case (and not just of cvsnt either).

It happens on my machine, and I don't have iconv.dll in system32; it just
happens to be on the path, before the CVSNT directory, as does expat.dll.

I modified the start menu shortcut for the control panel applet to have the
CVSNT install dir as the working directory, and the control panel applet now
starts fine from that (which it didn't before), however, it doesn't show up in
control panel, unless I run control.exe from the CVSNT install directory.

> Libraries used by applications should be in the application directories,
> nowhere else.

Agreed. That's how things are on my system.

> Static linking of cvsnt.cpl is just not practical as it
> depends on the rest of the cvsnt system to work - it isn't linked directly
> to iconv.. it's linked to cvsapi, cvstools and the various installed modules
> (determined at runtime).  cvsapi in turn is linked to iconv, the various
> databae DLLs (loaded as needed at runtime), etc.

You could still modify the DLL names, or load them at runtime from the CVSNT
install dir. The problem only manifests with the control panel applet, since
it is a DLL loaded into another process; the main EXE always finds the correct
versions of the DLLs it needs, since the directory containing the EXE is
searched before the path.

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams