[cvsnt] Re: Conrtol Panel will not open

Tony Hoyle tony.hoyle at march-hare.com
Tue Oct 11 16:38:36 BST 2005

Anthony Williams wrote:

> If you want an applet to run safely, the best thing is to ensure that it runs
> fine, whatever the current directory is, and whatever is on the path, which
> either means static linking of dependencies, or modifying the DLL names
> (e.g. cvsnt_iconv.dll, cvsnt_expat.dll)

This happened because someone put a copy of iconv.dll in system32.. I'd
*expect* breakage in that case (and not just of cvsnt either).

Libraries used by applications should be in the application directories,
nowhere else.  Static linking of cvsnt.cpl is just not practical as it
depends on the rest of the cvsnt system to work - it isn't linked
directly to iconv.. it's linked to cvsapi, cvstools and the various
installed modules (determined at runtime).  cvsapi in turn is linked to
iconv, the various databae DLLs (loaded as needed at runtime), etc.